Monday, March 3, 2014

Week 6 2/24-2/28

Good Afternoon,

Monday- This week started out strong as I started my leadership class out by first asking what issues they were concerned about in agriculture. This lead into introducing the prepared speaking contest and conservation option. All of the students selected really good topics that I think will generate lots of interesting discussion and search of interesting facts. The more I think about how impressed I am with my students speach topics I wish Cumberland County had a county contest before Area to provide practice and help weed out the students. I think this is something if I would end up in the area I would like to potentially offer other options for the students because I personally am not looking forward to selecting just three to move on. I have discussed with my co-teacher about our options to select students. In Animal Science we were able to started our feed lab in order to determine the energy content of feed. This was my first lab with the students and it went really well. It is such a different situation from my AFNR lab. In AFNR I presented a PowerPoint and then students went to the lab to practice/ inquire about the new equipment that they will be using this week. Landscape was interesting today as we started learning about turf grasses per student request. Students also researched career opportunities in the local area involving turf. In this class I'm struggling with classroom management when they are working on assignments. In SAE students worked on proficiency applications. In the future, I will provide prime examples of proficiency applications to help students develop stronger answers.

Tuesday- In Leadership today we worked on finalizing teachers luncheon and preparing speeches. I continue to do mini lessons on speeches and that seems to offer a good break between actually learning and working on speeches. In Animal Science students looked up information on essential nutrients. This information is rather dry so I incorporated their favorite foods into the CASE worksheet to allow students to make connections between content and classifying their foods. Leadership presented their turf career information and opportunities. I need to plan out some quick go to articles to have students read/ answer questions on if they get finished early because the 5th period class accomplishes less than the 7th period.

Wednesday- In leadership students worked on speeches and researching. Animal Science students classified different types of feeds and feed additives. I think next time I wouldn't have labeled the feeds and set it up more like a skill a thon to have the students try to determine what kind of feed it was or mineral. I think this would have challenged the more than the classification because my students seem more advanced. In landscape I we learned about proper care for lawns I terms of mowing. In order to make my students pay attention I had them pick select groups that they would then be in to take a group quiz the next day. I will use this technique again as I seen positive results as far as attention and taking the content more seriously. The half of the SAE class are about done their proficiency applications at this point, this will leave us in a good place to begin peer reviewing.



Thursday-
In leadership students had a work day in order to count and sort food from the February Food Drive that we can use the numbers for a grant. Other students began prepping for teacher luncheon and hanging up decorations. In the animal science class I was trying to teach them information from a powerpoint provided by CASE. The powerpoints are rather dry so I think next time I need to do more to spruce them up. I will look into either using Nearpod or Prezi to make them more interactive. Landscape took their group quizzes an then I started them on a careers assignment to wrap up the landscaping unit. In SAE I printed out students proficiency applications that were completed to allow them to peer review and other students worked on theirs. I think next time I will provide a rubric so the students take more time and are able to provide more constructive advice.

Friday-
Today was teachers luncheon. Students worked very hard to help prepare food and setup the library while in leadership. The Animal Science class wrapped up their lab worksheet from the previous day with the sub while I helped other FFA members prepare food. In the landscaping classes students worked on their group assignments and then played Ag Trivia towards the end of class. The SAE used the time to cleanup and organize.


Plan for Week 4

Monday- Leadership- Spring Trip meeting/ Planning

                Animal Science- Powerpoint on nutritional Disorders and 5.4.2 worksheet. Notebook check  

                Landscape- Workday for career presentations.

                SAE- What is an asset?

Tuesday- Leadership- Making speeches connect.

                 Animal Science- 5.5.1 Rational Rules of Thumb

                 Landscape- What landscaping careers are out there?

               SAE- What is a liability?


Wednesday- Leadership- How can we improve others' speeches?

                      Animal Science- 5.5.2 Pearson square meal

                     Landscape- What is floriculture?

                    SAE- A picture says 1000 words?.. literally.


Thursday-  Leadership- Editing, improving speeches.

                   Animal Science- 5.5.3. Snack Time

                  Landscape- What makes up an arrangement?

                   SAE- Editing, finalizing Proficiencies.


Friday-
            Leadership- What does a good speech take?

           Animal Science- 5.5.3 Snack Time Continued

           Landscape- What materials do we need?

            SAE- Finalizing, printing proficiencies.

1 comment:

  1. Kate,

    I like what I'm reading and the variability you are incorporating into your classes. Holding students accountable for a specific amount of work to be completed by the end of the class in your landscape class. An idea would be to incorporate timed stations that the students rotate through and are separated from one another while they are working on specific tasks.

    Sounds like your days are full of great engaging moments. I'm going to encourage you to think a little deeper about your week's classes and moving beyond what you did in the class and think of the WHY. Reflect on why you think is happening in classes or the dynamics of a class and then work through maybe a HOW of solving the issue.

    Keep doing great things!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete