Thursday, April 10, 2014

Farewell Student Teaching


"I always knew that when I looked back
 on the times I cried I would smile. 
But I never knew that when I looked back on the times I smiled
 I would cry."


Monday will be rough. My student teaching experience at Cumberland Valley High School was the furthest from what I ever expected.. it was absolutely amazing. I had the opportunity to develop my own classroom and truly call the students my own. I will miss each and every one of them terribly.

The past 13 weeks consisted of many ups and downs, as well as many heart to hearts with students. The students were faced with many changes this semester and together  we grew and were able to accomplish many things. The first part of my student teaching I taught students how to work hard, I set my expectations high and settled for nothing less. One student actually told me they hadn't work so hard before. That moment made me smile, and that's when I knew I truly loved what I was doing. Their hard work was recognized, I was proud of them, and they were proud of themselves. 

In week 5 I had my students create a list of goals they they wanted to meet before they graduated in June.  We discussed goals and held many discussions about the future, growing up, going to college and of course the importance of college scholarships. 8:10 am, it was Monday, week 6, and all of the pervious weeks discussions came to reality. The principle delivered some unexpected news and I found I needed to make a very big commitment to my students... 1) I would support them through anything, 2) We would accomplish all of their goals before June 6th. 

The next 6 weeks would consist of many late nights, good discussions with my mentor teachers, lots of encouragement and plenty of patience - both mine and my students.  We set many small goals - and celebrated them all! As a whole, we needed to learn to trust each other and compromise.

In the classroom we tried many new things with technology and resources that were are available. I learned that self discovery was key but holding them accountable is critical. By setting expectations, creating standards and nipping things right away my classroom experience was great. No, not every lesson goes as planned but that is all part of learning. I certainly learned not to lower my expectations for any student and that sometimes it is just a matter of a different approach. Despite the fact that I am an Animal Science person, teaching about plants and operating a greenhouse will keep things interesting.

By May 10th, we will have reached all of our goals. Teaching mostly seniors has been a rewarding challenge and I am very thankful for them. I am sincerely appreciative of my mentor teachers, Ms. Darla Romberger and Mr. Randy Cassell for all of their support and commitment this semester. This experience has been a unique opportunity that I am now prepared for anything. I will miss my students but look forward to working with them a few more times in the coming weeks. 

But ultimatly at the end of my 13 weeks I  learned the following:
1) Always be yourself. Your best qualities will always shine through the rainy days. 
2) Have a plan. 
3) Also have a plan B, C and maybe even D. 
4) Occasionally you may have to skip to plan D. Tomorrow is another day. 
5)  Be flexible.
6) The best learning actually happens when you let go of the control. 
7) As an Ag Teacher, the students do really tell you everything. You are their counselor, life coach, friend and sometimes their reality check. 
8)  Let your students teach. 1) you may learn something cool. 2) they will respect you even more. 
9) Take your leadership team zip lining.
10) Students remember everything. 
11) There are apps that control the TV. Always outsmart your students. 
12) Don't reinvent the wheel. Do things right the first time. 
13) Have a life outside of school. 
14) Don't teach from the front of the room.
 15) Maintenance and the custodial staff are the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment